Leaving the ruins of San Antón, we arrive at Castrojeríz, the town possessing numerous sights to visit for pilgrims. The castle, located on a hill, is the first image we see when entering this village.
It was Alfonso VII who, after a series of battles, seized the village for Castile in 1131. Following this, the settlement started to take shape around the castle. Hospitals, inns, and churches were constructed, which are still to be seen nowadays.
Accommodation in Castrojeriz
|Family rooms, Shared rooms
|Facilities for disabled guests, WiFi, Bar
|Albergue Rosalia / Pilgrim Hostel
|WiFi, Free bike parking
|Garden, Restaurant, Bar, WiFi, Terrace
|Garden, Bar & Restaurant, WiFi
|Garden, WiFi, Breakfast
|Quinta San Francisco
|Terrace, Garden, Restaurant, WiFi, Facilities for disabled guests, Spa and wellness center
What to see in Castrojeriz
Casa de los Gutierres Barona
In 1521 and during the time of prosperity of the Catholic Monarchs, the General Council of Castile set up its residence in the town. One of the few remaining noble buildings is the house of the Barona Gutierrez family, built in the late 16th century.
Palacio de los Condes de Castro
Outside the walls of Castrojeriz, this church was built in 1214 ordered by Berengaria the Great, Queen of Castile, and Leon.
On the top of the hill, we find the ruins of the oldest monument of the town, built in Roman style, and later rebuilt by the Visigoths.
Convento de Santa Clara
It was founded by King Alfonso the Wise in 1264. Today it is still inhabited by the Poor Clares.
Iglesia de Santo Domingo
The church can be found on the Main Street of Castrojeriz. One of its most beautiful details is its gothic doorway from the 16th century. One can find here some pillars of the late fifteenth century and a vault made in the eighteenth century. Inside, it houses a rich collection of tapestries.
La Colegiata de Nuestra Señora del Manzano
A church of Romanesque style was built in 1214. It currently houses a museum of objects related to Christian worship.
Iglesia de San Juan
Built between the 13th and the 16th century the church of San Juan with the 14th-century cloister has the look of a beautiful castle.