Cirauqui or Zirauki is a beautiful hilltop village with steep, narrow cobbled streets, and the church of San Román occupies the highest point of the town. Zirauki means ‘nest of vipers’ in Basque.
At the exit of the village, a section of a Roman road leads the pilgrims further.
Cirauqui, due to its location, was chosen as a place of settlement from early times. Cirauqui’s history is linked to the Romans, the Camino de Santiago. Like the entire region, Ciraqui is deeply romanized from the early days of the era, as evidenced by the Roman bridge known in town as “the fallen bridge”, the stretch of Roman road, and the abundant remains of pottery.
Cirauqui, in medieval times, was a very busy place. With the rise of pilgrimages, an Ospedaje or Old Hospital was built in the town to cater to pedestrians. The importance of the town did not decline despite decreasing the number of pilgrims.
Accommodation in Cirauqui
|Hotel name||Type||Price range||Room type||Other|
|Albergue de peregrinos en CIRAUQUI – CASA MARALOTX Camino de Santiago||Albergue||Budget||Shared rooms||Terrace, Bar & Restaurant, WiFi, and breakfast offer vegetarian, vegan, or gluten-free options.|
What to see
Iglesia de San Román
The church of San Román, built in the 13th century, stands at the highest point of the town. It is a powerful block of medieval stone, dated around 1200, expanded, and remodeled in the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries. Its façade consists of a large pointed entrance arch influenced by Muslim horseshoe arches. Archivolts are covered with geometric and plant decorations, and capitals are decorated with human heads, lions, and griffins. Inside the church, three Baroque altarpieces from the eighteenth century and a beautiful Renaissance-style silver cross from the sixteenth century can be seen.
Iglesia de Santa Catalina de Alejandría
The church of Saint Catherine of Alexandria is another church in Cirauqui dating back to the 13th or early 14th century. A beautiful early Gothic doorway with seven pointed archivolts is well-preserved.