Portomarín is a small town located in the province of Lugo, in the northwest of Spain. It is situated on the banks of the Miño River and is famous for its well-preserved medieval bridge and Romanesque church. Portomarín is a town that most pilgrims will pass through as it lies less than 100 kilometers away from Santiago de Compostela.

The town was originally built on a hill but was later relocated in the 1950s to make way for a hydroelectric dam. As a result, many of the town’s historic buildings were dismantled stone by stone and reassembled in the new location. The original river was dammed into a huge lake, flooding the riverbank area completely.

Between 1956 and 1962, several buildings were moved higher up on the west side of the lake. Among others, the church of Santa Maria, which houses the town’s patron saint La Virgen de las Nieves, to whom, some say, Portomarín should be grateful for its existence.

In Portomarín, all roads seem to take us to Iglesia de San Juan, a fortress-like 13-century church.

Accommodation in Portomarin

Hotel nameTypePrice rangeRoom typeOther
Albergue FerramenteiroAlbergueBudgetShared roomsGarden, Shared lounge, Bar, WiFi, Facilities for disabled guests
Pensión PortomiñoGuest houseBudgetFamily rooms, Rooms with shared bathroomsGarden, Bar, WiFi, Non-smoking rooms
Apartamentos RuliñaApartmentsMid-rangeTwo bedrooms apartment, Penthouse apartmentGarden, Washing machine, Kitchen, WiFi, Facilities for disabled guests
Casa de Campo Cruz de PedraApartmentsMid-rangeTwo bedrooms apartmentWiFi, Garden, Breakfast included
Os Arcos – Apartamentos TurísticosApartmentsSplurgeDuplex apartmentWiFi, Kitchen,  Washing machine, Air conditioning

What to see in Portomarin

Iglesia de San Juan y de San Nicolás

This building is a castle and a church at the same time. It was originally designed to give shelter and protect pilgrims of St. James’ Way.

When 1960 the water reservoir was created in the valley, and the original old settlement was flooded, so, together with other important buildings; this church was also transported brick by brick to its new place on the top of the hill.