Nájera is a municipality of 8,000 people in the autonomous community of La Rioja, crossed by the Najerilla River.
Nájera is located in the “Rioja Alta” bordered by the Najerilla river, which crosses the town and divides it into two parts: the inner city, with its historical monuments; and the outer city with modern constructions and industrial expansion.
The name of Nájera in Arabic means ‘place between rocks’.
After the Muslims destroyed Pamplona in the 11th century, Sancho “el Mayor” made Nájera the capital of the Kingdom of Navarre, and since then the Camino has been passing through the town.
Accommodation in Nájera
|Hotel name||Type||Price range||Room type||Other|
|Hostal Ciudad de Nájera||Guest house||Budget||Family rooms, Shared rooms||WiFi, Luggage storage|
|Pensión San Lorenzo||Guest house||Mid-range||Family rooms||WiFi, Breakfast available|
|Apartamentos Vino y Camino||Apartments||Mid-range||Apartment||WiFi, Kitchen|
|APARTAMENTO LA REAL||Apartments||Mid-range||Two bedroom apartement||Kitchen, WiFi, Balcony, Washing machine|
|Apartamentos Turísticos San Lorenzo||Apartments||Splurge||Two bedroom apartment||WiFi, Kitchen, Washing machine, Lift|
Monastery of Santa María la Real
It has a magnificent cloister of the Knights of the 16th century, where Gothic, Plateresque, and Renaissance styles are combined. In the pantheon of kings rest the remains of Blanca de Navarra, the Dukes of Nájera, and Diego López de Haro.
The Gothic church, built on the remains of the previous Romanesque temple, has three naves, a transept, and a tower at the foot. In the central nave is the choir, with wonderful flowery gothic masonry. At the end of the central nave is the cave of Santa María La Real, excavated in the rock, where, according to legend, King García de Nájera found the image of the Virgin. The monastery was used during the 19th century as infantry barracks, theater, public works depot, and warehouse until it was declared a national monument in 1889.